Total Pageviews

Friday 30 March 2018

One word, uncomfortable !

Only a short blog today, no pics the weather was to bad, and it was difficult for most, with odd carp making up the top weights,
But that seems to be how withy pool at huntstrete is at the mo, but no doubt that will change with the onset of spring, but I'm beginning to think we will go straight back to autumn at the end of april.
Still the day started well with a nice breakfast at the Toby inn carvery in whitchurch, 4.3.
Got to the lake and there were 19 of us over 55,s fishing, which is not to far off about as many as you would like to see on here, a couple more though would be ok.
Not quite first into the draw bag first as that is for anglers requiring a short walk, Harry Muir was hoping not to draw 74 as it's the end peg in the narrows, and he struggled off it last match. Guess what ha ha ha
As I was recording names of meant I could get into the draw before the rest, method in my madness there, out comes 59, a peg that has a lot of historical form, as have all the pegs on this back bank, but history hasn't really been repeating itself recently.
For Company I was between league organiser Chris Rolf on 60 and one of my early match fishing peers James (jimmy) norris on 58, and with Chris ollis on 57 it was a bit of a who's who from yester year.
Rigs today , a .5 drennan as5 for caster at 5mtrs. Another of the same pattern to fish caster at 13 mtrs to my right at 13 mtrs again just over caster, but as it was about 7 foot deep here it was a .8 version , a bit heavier than I would normally have used but with the wind and rain blowing in slightly from the left, but mainly straight in, it afforded me a bit of stability, the last rig was again another drennan pattern , which was bodied but with a wire stem to fish caster over groundbait at 13 mtrs,
On the whistle I cupped in some caster at at 5mtrs, some at 8mtrs slightly to my right, and some more at 13 mtrs on the same angle, about 1.30 on the clock dial, then some groundbait at 13 mtrs.
Starting at 5mtrs I missed a bite first drop, then had a 3oz roach, next put in an 8 oz version, next I lost a fouled carp, and I never had another bite on this line, so 30 mins in and I dropped the wire stem rig into the 7 mtr line, and caught straight away, nice roach 3 to 6 oz fish , aswell as a skimmer of over 2lb, I had an enjoyable 90 minutes , not flying but enjoyable, especially as those around me couldn't get a bite, but it never lasted and the rest of the match was fairly quiet, the groundbait line only produced a small roach and a couple of tiny skimmers, the only other person I could see catching  anything was John Smith opposite who was getting some skimmers, but that died for him at about the same time as my fish stopped , I did get a nice perch and a 2lb plus hybrid off the 8 mtr line later in the match, but that was it, as far as the match was going I seemed to have done ok, only being beaten probably by  people with carp, of those Harry (moaner) Muir seemed to have done the best as he had 2 , certainly moaned them on matey LOL.
The scales got to me quite quickly as not to many were weighing, and those who did never had a lot, my fish went 13.2 which I was pleased with as conditions were horrible with a chilly wind and freezing cold rain battering us on this bank for most of the match, Harry won on the day with his two carp for 27lb, as normal the weigh sheets are below.



No comments:

Post a Comment