Total Pageviews

Sunday 30 April 2017

Sunday open, Stafford moor fishery.

Went down on Saturday with my official photographer and we had a room booked in the duke of York in eddesliegh, which as anyone who has fished much at Stafford will know it is one of the best places to stay, the rooms are clean and com
fy, but more importantly the food and beer is generally very good, and thus occasion wasn't any different, the food was excellent and I even had a few pints of some beer I had never heard of but it was nice, even Judith had some .
Up in the morning after a decent sleep and down for breakfast which just carried on the quality of the night before, so for this it gets an overall 4.8.
Dave Stockton was in the duke with his friend Lee , Dave said he fancied peg 3 on tanners, and he only drew it, I went in about halfway through and pulled out peg 13, going on past form I remember it being a good margin peg, so I was hopeful of a few, plus it is one of the shortest walks on the complex, so Judith was happy, as it was raining and due to keep doing so all day I soon had the Brolly up for her with her seat under it, plus there was quite a stiff breeze blowing left to right and slightly in.
I soon had my kit sorted out, with a margin rig for pellet each side, a meat rig for 5 mtrs and a pellet rig for 13 mtrs which was as far as I decided to go due to the weather.

On the all in I potted some pellets on the long line and into each margin, and threw a few pieces of meat onto the short line, first drop on the long line saw me attached to a very angry fouler which eventually broke me. I had another one on shortly after which I landed, amazing the difference it makes when you hook them in the mouth.
That was it on the carp front on the long line for a while , the skimmers moved in and they were hard to hit on hard 8mm pellet, I decided to try the meat line a bit earlier than I intended , but I was rewarded with a near double figure common,

 shortly followed by a nice mirror, but that was my lot on that for a while, looked down the edge left an right and had a fish off each, I had to keep moving around the swim to keep fish coming, it was never manic but it was just a case of nicking a fish and moving somewhere else and trying to do the same, I heard someone say Dave on 3  was catching well so his feeling from the night before was looking right , I had one more carp on the long line during the match but most of my fish came from the margins and the short meat line , on the all out I new I had over 100lb but not as much as Dave on 3 who reckoned on 140 plus, the weigh in started on 36 on tanners and 96 was top weight by the time they got to me , But I went into the lead with 133.8 .
I didn't stay top for long as Dave Stockton put 165.13 on the scales for first on the day, catching all his fish on the shallow wag,

on woodpecker Nigel Rhodes on peg 18 had 135.11, meaning I ended up 3rd on the day
4th was Andy dare on 16 woodies with 106.15
5th Paul Heywood 2 on woodies with 103.14
6th on 19 woodies Mike Newman had 99.7
I must say Paul and jo  have done a brilliant job on the fishery, it looks really good and it looks as though they have a bright future down in Devon, I am looking forward to my next visit already, but due to other commitments it won't be for a few weeks at least.
Back to something more local I am running a costcutter at Landsend on Tuesday so ring msg or txt me to book in.

No comments:

Post a Comment