Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 February 2017

Huntstrete silver's league rnd 3

After a nice breakfast which I give 4 stars in the ainscough rating, venue was the Toby inn  in whitchurch, eat what you want for 5.50, and with the wind due to be blowing at up to 40 mph, the extra ballast maybe necessary.
My turn to be in b section today which uses pegs 5 to 11 on bridge pool, after having to endure the coldest part of the lake in the first two rounds , today the wind and rain was going to be blowing in and across from the left, into the draw and out comes b5 which is in the narrows behind the island, in the previous matches it hasn't been to bad , but only down to odd better skimmers, literally , the anglers in these swims only had one or two fish , but they were enough to give them good points as 4lb was a good weight in the first two rounds, so today I was hoping for some of the same.
 The wind wasn't going to disappoint , as it was already gusting really strongly, and being behind the island didn't really help as it couldn't make up its mind as to which way it was going to blow, left , right and even occasionally from behind. I decided on a line at just over 10 mtrs towards the island , which to be honest was about as far as I could fish , given the wind, I set up a 1g drennan as7 float which has a nice long steel stem and it was certainly stable , and fish very well during the day, and a .5g as5 for just down the margin for perch hopefully, but it wasn't to be as although I tried it several times only a half ounce specimen showed up, so no more on that one, to my left was Dave Gillard , who only set up a feeder rod as he didn't want to jeopardise his pole, the other side was Dave Wilmot who was the first person in a section.
The whistle went and I cupped in a ball of groundbait on two lines on the long pole line in two areas, 11 and 1 o'clock angle and a ball at 4 mtrs, as it turned out the 1o'clock line was not used much as I seemed to have dropped the groundbait on top of a branch, lol, I did try opening up a new line slightly shorter but never had a bite there, so most of the match was spent on the 11 o'clock line , I had a skimmer of about 1 1/4  after 15 minutes, it fought like a small carp, mainly due to the fact it was hooked in the pectoral fin. But that was my last fouler, I caught odd small fish burning the match, plus a couple of better skimmers , but I had four in the  last hour .all on treble fluro pinkie also lost one aswell, which would cost me, I thought I had 8lb ish, and thought Steve tanner on peg 8 had easily won the match . With possibly Paul dicks on 11 being second, I was first to weigh innate section and was surprised when my net went 10.10, but as in expected Steve tanner, beat me with 11.5 and Paul dicks was third in the section with over 9lb, so quite tight then. First on the day was Mike Nicholls on peg 19 with over 28lb , so that's two wins on the trot, he had 4 tench, some good perch and quality roach, all on caster at 6mtrs and down his margin, all the weigh sheet below.

Off to Landsend on Sunday for round 3 of the winter league, I'm on the match lake Sunday so a draw towards the top of the lake would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment