Total Pageviews

Thursday 5 January 2017

Rnd 1 silver's league, huntstrete

I was looking forward to this series, with 24 fishing, not to bad for a midweeker, plus I had time to call into the maesknoll in whitchurch village , as its a Toby inn, its all you can eat and drink for 5.50, and very nice it was too.
Getting to the lake with plenty of time I had chance to look at the lake (bridge pool) and as expected it had an icy lid on it, I wasn't to upset as I like ice hole fishing (normally), a draw at the closer end would be nice as these pegs are more consistent in the colder months, so into the organisers (Chris rolfe,s) new draw bucket and out comes 33 aaargh, one from the end on the far side, which also meant a day sat in the shade as the sun doesn't get high enough this time of year to get above the small hill behind these pegs, for company I had Dave Gillard on 34 and much practiced Paul barnfield on 31, opposite and filling the rest of the section was Mike Jones who once came second to dickie Carr in a competition as to who was the most fanciable, ( to the opposite sex) , Paul Dicks and Steve tanner on 2/3 and 4 respectively. I soon got a channel broken in the ice to 14 mtrs as it was an easy break.
I had a quick walk round to take a pic to show how cols our bank was in comparison to opposite, the frost stayed on the ground for the whole day, I fact all the gear behind us also got a coating of frost during the day.
Now for the fishing, well not to much to report on that front, in fact I had 5 bites all day , I lost the first small fish after about 15 mins as it managed to wriggle off with a bit help from the ice, the next three bites in the next hour resulted in 2 small skimmers and a roach, the next bite I missed and that was my lot for the whole match, Dave to my left had one small roach, Paul to my right had a dozen small fish and the three opposite all blanked, Paul won our section with 1.12, and I was second with 8oz, as expected the further down the lake you went the better it got with callum dicks coming out  on top with 60 small skimmers for 9.2, all very hard, us anglers in the shade had to endure constant freeze ups with us needing to clear the ice every 30 minutes minimum, not ideal really when fish were hard to come by, weigh sheets below.

No comments:

Post a Comment