Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 April 2016

Windmill silver league, final round

Final match round of this well run little series , Ray bazeley did a good job organising and running the league so well done to him, it was a thankless job at times.
I needed to either win my section or come second at worst to win the series, so into the draw and out comes peg 2, doesn't really mean a lot on this venue as there hasn't been any standout flyers in any of the rounds making it quite fair, you just seem to need to be able to get bites all through the match, wading through the plippy roach and hopefully get a couple of bonuses in the shape of better skimmers or odd tench and crucians, for company I had late arrival Pete Turner on 3 and windmills resident whitebait thrasher bill Ferris on 1, John baker who was a league threat was on peg 4 but he wasn't happy as its been a tough area, he did have peg 5 empty but that doesn't always help as the fish got somewhere to back off.
I got away with 2 rigs today, a .8g drennan as5 float which after plumbing up would do for 3 mtrs in front and 2 lines on different angles at 9 mtrs. The other rig was a .3g same pattern float for caster down by a reed bed to my left with caster for roach.
At the start I cupped in 2 balls of groundbait with caster at three mtr ,3 at 9 mtrs to my right again with caster in, and 2 balls to my left with some micros, I began peppering a few casters to the reeds to my left.
I began at three mtrs and I had a bite on maggot first drop, enough elastic came from the end of the pole to make me think it was one of the venues small carp, but it was a 12oz hybrid which popped up, a good start on a low weight affair, after that I had a steady run of 2oz skimmers, with the obligatory plippy roach.
Don't you just love em, looking around no one in my section was catching much so I was doing ok, in fact the lake seemed to be on a bigger shut down than normal, after an hour and several more small skimmers in the net and another one of about a pound , it started to get really hard so I refed and went out to 9 mtrs , but that was just as hard, but by rotating around the the swims I kept odd fish going into the net. I ended with 4 better skimmers a small crucian and plenty of bits, I new I had won the section but its also nice to be top weight on the day with 10.13.
Mike Nicholls was second with 7.01 off peg 28 and Steve Dawson with 6.9 off peg 21, and that was also how the league ended , with me first , Mike second and Steve third behind Mike on weight, as I said it was a good league and I hope its run again next year.
This week it was meant to be a match on field lake at harescombe, but due to a double booking I got cancelled, so I am running a small match on Landsend no3 lake , I do have a couple of spaces.so ring or txt me asap to get in 07974807941

No comments:

Post a Comment