Total Pageviews

Thursday 5 March 2015

Veals silvers league,huntstrete bridge pool

After a bit of a disaster last round I needed a good draw today, into the draw bag and out comes peg 6, it's up on the right hand bank and it's the first peg on the top island, a flyer carp peg I was told, no good today though as it's silvers only, for company I had Ireland's quietist angler Harry muire on 7 and charlie(I am legend ) Barnes behind the island in the narrows on 5, and boy was he moaning, I was still going for the groundbait approach today but I intended to be a bit more careful this week, two rigs today , a .4g for 5 mtrs and a .6g for 13 mtrs at the bottom of the island shelf, both rigs had my favourite size 18 middy 6313 on ,10 line, my rig mainline was .16 sensas feeling , again it's a line that is consistent and fairly close to it's stated diameters.
At the start I cupped in one ball with casters in at 5 mtrs and two balls at 13 mtrs just with micros in.
Starting at 5 mtrs with single caster it took me 25 mins to land a fish and that was a 1lb skimmer, and that was my last bite on this line, Charlie to my right had landed a couple of skimmers in this time and a near 4 lb fish, so if the whistle had been blown at 11 I think he would have won, to make matters worse worse Harry was quietly (not ) landing some skimmers and opposite mIke Owens on 28 was catching which wasn't good for me as I had him in the k/o. And the ever consistent dave wride on 10 was also catching skimmers. I persevered with the short line for the first hour before venturing out to 13 mtrs, when I did all I could muster in the next 45 mins was a couple of tiny roach, so I refed the long lines but put a biggish handfull of caster in the ball I put in each swim, I tried the short line but that was no good, so back out to 13 mtrs on caster and although it wasn't brilliant at least I was getting more roach now, Charlie had stopped catching and was back into moaning mode, Harry was still getting odd skimmers , but not as well as mr wride. I did get a couple more 1lb skimmers and a nice perch at 13 mtrs and with 2 hours to go I had a nice 4lb bonus tench, which got me back in touch with the section pace setters, apart from dave wride that was as he was catching really consistently,
Out of desperation a bit with just under two hours to go I plumbed up at 13 mtrs towards the island to my left and found about 5 foot of water , so I butchered my .4g rig to use there and cupped in some casters and loose groundbait, I tried the deeper water for a few minutes then went to the shallow and started catching nice roach, then I had another 4 lb tench which was a proper bonus, then went back to getting roach again with some nice fish up to 12oz,
At the end I thought I had about. 14 lb and with Harry looking at his fish and reckoning on 12 lb I was hopefull of second in section behind dave wride who looked to have won the match , making it two on the trot in this series,
And he did win with a nice net of skimmers on soft pellet over micros and groundbait on peg 10, his 38.2 was well clear of second placed Alan jones who managed to make it to the end of the match this week and weigh in 20.1
Third was me with 19.14
4th John smith next to the winner on 11 with 16.6
5th mike key on 18 with 14.2
6th mike Owens on 28 with 13.12















No comments:

Post a Comment