Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 March 2014

landsend , sunday open

With 16 of us fishing,  and with mike duckett fishing he let us spread around the match lake and the left hand bank of number 3, so plenty of room,  I had a quick chat with rob Wootten, in shipham cafe (which still knocks spots off other cafes,  even those which even do liver). And the lake had fished well on Saturday with 150lb winning and 47lb won the silvers, but he did say the water was very clear, so I was more than happy to see the water had coloured up overnight, all turned up on time so did the draw and had the last ticket,  so I ended up with 19 stuck to my hand,
its a nice peg with lots of form, I had martin lenaghan on 21 and adrian jeffery on 17, the wind was gusting through the gap in the island and swirling round making presentation hard, I set a meat rig for 7 mtrs, a margin rig but never had a bite on that with corn over caster and corn, so no more of that then,  and also 2 rigs for pellet over towards the island, one on top of the shelf and one at the bottom of the shelf,
the first hour of the match was ok and I had 5 carp off the meat line,  which was as good as most and better than a few, after 90 mins I had only added another one carp, so things had slowed, martin by now had switched to pellet across to the island and had begun to catch well. I had to do the same,  but the wind was making it difficult,  with the rig getting blown off the shelf and along the lake, but I was getting plenty of indications,  catching carp and f1, s on hard pellet, but I was never catching as fast as martin,  but I had a nide day, I tried the meat line a couple more times but no joy,  so most of the match was spent over towards the island, most fish falling to the shallow rig but I did get a few on the deep rig, adrian gave the meat line a bit more patience tgan me and was rewarded with a good finish as did trig over on 5, I think I ended up with 19 carp and 20lb plus of f1, s, martin looked like an easy winner as he had at least 30 carp so I thought he would have 150lb , but we heard martin rayett up on peg 42 had a good weight, but it turned out to be not quite enough as martin, s fish went 155.2 for first
2nd was martin rayett on 42 with 131.3 of meat tempted carp
3rd was me with 125.9
4th shaun townsend on 11 with 115.5, which included top silver weight on the day with 32.4 , of skimmers, f1, s and tench
5th adrian jeffery with 113.2
6th chris davis on 41 with 97.3
it was good to see so many fish caught today as the fishery has had a hard winter with fish hard to come by,  many thought that the fishery was suffering from some type of predation,  but after seeimg so many fish caught today, I, m beginning to think we may just not be good enough to catch them sometimes, after all tgese are wily old fish tgat have seen it all, making them hard to catch, who knows, if only we could see under water , but none of us can.i think the average weight wss nearly 90lb, roll on summer, and I dont think that will be long coming as the grass snake's were out in force today.

No comments:

Post a Comment