Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 August 2013

Windmill virgins

First time at this venue for most of us hence the title, there were a few regulars fishing so it was going to be difficult for us newby,s. after a breakfast in a cafe in st George / Hanham border which will remain nameless as it was shit it was off to the fishery, it's quite a new lake and terry is looking to improve it all the time and I,m sure he will get it right.
Into the draw and I have the last ticket which was 24, I was told it was a good peg and more importantly I could reach the island at 15mtrs, so a pellet rig was put together to fishin about 10 inches of water just off the island , a pellet rig to use at 5 and 10 mtrs in about 9 foot of water and a rig for dead maggot down the edge( nothing on that apart from a couple of Rudd bites). At the start I fed both pellet lines in the deep water and began firing 6,s to the island, it took  15 minutes to get my first bite at 5 mtrs and that came from a 5 oz skimmer. I stuck with it for another 30 mins but never had another bite on pellet there , I did switch to maggot on that line and had a pound plus skimmer and a tiny carp but that was my lot there , and I never had another bite on either line in the deep water. The rest of the match was spent wrestling with the wind over by the island, it was impossible to hold the pole still at times and the fish that were on the island really wanted a still bait and the only way to achieve that on the pole was to fish over depth by quite a bit but that increased the liners . On my left kevin Jeffries did it right by getting a couple of early fish on the method then fishing paste at 11 mtrs then later 10 mtrs(mainly due to him snapping the but of his pole on the strike) but whichever  way you wantd to look at it he was busting mine and Shaun townsends ass who was e other side of him, the person who seemed to be doing the best was Gordon cannings on 8 who was fishing a tight match using soft pellet and meat at about 10 mtrs, and that's how it turned out with Gordon winning easily with 77.15 which included the top silver weight of 8.10
2nd was kev Jeffries on 26 with 47.3
3rd Pete wild on2 with 46.6
4 th was me with 39.11
5th Shaun Townsend on 28 with 37.2
6th rod wootten with 16.10
I don't think the weights really reflected what the lake is capable of , mainly due to the wind blowing down the lake, a northerly and it was cold until the sun came out about mid afternoon, so I will be back as we need a decent fishery in Bristol and I think with the support it needs it stands a good chance of becoming that, some may disagree but I think the signs are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment