Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 January 2013

Landsend individual league round 3

My turn for lake 3, johnswalter, I let mark brennan draw for me as he never has before, and he handed me peg 68 (best peg on the lake), I,m getting calls to draw my own peg now as people are drawing me to many flyers, well mike nicholls was moaning lol , especially as he was on 50 again which isn't the best of pegs but he has done well off it before. For company I had fabio on 70 , Aaron brittnell on 41, Adrian jeffery opposite on 42 and nick duckett to my right on 66, the only other angler I could see was trig Edmunds on 46, well I couldn't see him the only way I new he was there was the flash off his head from time to time when the light was right.
Rig wise today I excelled myself assembling 5, I had 2 for banded 6 mm over 4,s on top of the island shelf and at the bottom of the slope at 13.5 mtrs both with 18 b 960 hooks on .14. A margin rig but all that gave me was three roach during the day with not a sign of a carp from each side. A 4x14 caster  for 5 mtrs and just on my topkit as it was the same depth hook was the ever reliable middy 6313 on .10, my last rig was a 4x12 float with a 6313 on .12 to fish soft pellet over micro,s to the weed bed to my left, I really had it mind to target the silvers today cos as far as the league goes my best chance was some overall silvers money at the end , and in the last match Tom thick had won the lake silvers off this peg with roach, so with this in mind I started at 5 mtrs ,and my first bite was from a 4oz roach, next bite came from a 8lb carp , then some more small roach , so I came in on my topkit and had a few more roach ,then another carp, but a bit smaller, some more roach then another slightly smaller carp again, and after that  I struggled for bites from silvers, I think the disruption from the carp unsettled them, if I waited I could get a bite from a roach but it was to slow, and with Aaron getting some good perch silvers weren't going to feature in my game plan today, fabio by now was catching some smallish carp up his margin , so carp for me it was then , the normal reliable weed bed seemed almost devoid of fish, and apart from 2 lost fouler s and one tail hooked fish landed from there I couldn't get a bite there, most of the remainder of the match was spent on banded pellet over by the island up and down the shelf, I ended the match with ten carp and about six pounds of silvers my catch went 47.1 which was just enough for a lake win over trig who had 43.7.
The whole venue fished quite hard which was a suprise as we have seen having some really warm temps, but I think the fish are a bit confused, as I had watched fish taking floating bits off the surface and we are catching fish in the shallow water on top of the island shelfs ,which isn't right for January.
The match was won by the leagues mr consistent , mark poppleton on peg 29 with 73.2 which was seven carp, some from his right hand margin and some from across on soft pellet
2nd Paul homewood on 34 with 70.2
3rd Paul elmes 53.15 on peg 36
4th tony rixon, 47.1 peg 68
5th Craig Edmunds 43.7 peg 46
6th Tom thick 42.7 peg 25
Silvers
Tom mangnall 19.3 on peg 31 , mainly skimmers on soft pellet
Ken Rainer has kindly offered to post the league so far on his blog so if you go onto fishingkens blog the results will be up on there in a day or two

1 comment: